Don’t hesitate to swap pumpkin for squash (red kuri squash) and to use a spicy olive oil such as the Peperoncino. I tried it too and it was perfect. I also tried with the butternut squash, but was a little disappointed : it tasted a little blend. I should have added garlic for more taste maybe…
You may serve on the plates and bring them individually to the table, or if you have a nice au gratin dish, put it directly on the table for style. Your guests will have the pleasure to go for seconds !
Virginie's Pumpkin and Hazelnut Cod Gratin
Needs an extra 10' to stand after baking.This dish may be also prepared early and warmed up in the oven at a temperature of 150-180°.
- 400 g pumpkin cut in cubes
- 4 cod filets
- 1 chopped onion (3 TBS)
- 10 cl of liquid full cream (100 g)
- 3 sprigs of rosemary or nutmeg
- sea salt and pepper
- 10 g of hazelnut crushed or powdered
- 10 g of breadcrumbs
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 4 g butter
- optional : chili, tabasco or Espelette chili
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 200°. Fry the onions in salted butter in a pan that has a cover. Add the pumpkin cubes, the rosemary sprigs or the nutmeg. Stir, cover and let it cook on low heat. Stir regularly and make sure the pumpkin is cooked and not burnt. Do not add water. This will take around 20 minutes.
- Step 2 While the pumpkin is simmering, steam the cod filets for 10 to 15 minutes or bake them in the microwave oven. When the pumpkin is done, remove the rosemary, add salt and pepper. Mash it all, taste and make sure you get the flavor, pour the cream in and stir. Set aside.
- Step 3 Get rid of the water from the cod filets by draining and sauté them in olive oil. Use a fork to get bits and pieces and make sure no bones are left. Put salt and pepper and add it to the mashed pumpkin. Mix, taste and add salt and pepper again until you get a full flavor. Butter your au gratin dish before placing the mashed cod/pumpkin mixture in it. Mix the hazelnuts and breadcrumbs together, and sprinkle over it. Bake for about 25 minutes. Cover with an aluminium foil to keep it warm and wait 10 minutes before serving. If you have no space left in your kitchen, you may leave it in the oven as well, keeping the door open. That will enable the water to evaporate if any.