Ideal for young chefs-to-be, this stew is a typical quick and easy family dish.
cream and mushroom chicken stew
- 200 g Thai or basmati rice
- 250 g fresh white button mushrooms
- 150 g smoked bacon in chunks
- 2 laurel leaves
- 400 g fresh chicken breasts
- 25 cl of light single cream
- Pepper from the mill
- Step 1 Cook the rice according to the directions on the package
- Step 2 In the meantime, fry the smoked bacon chunks for about 5 minutes until golden. When done, set aside on a plate covered with paper kitchen towel to absorb of the extra oil. Wash the bottom mushrooms, remove the stems and cut them in 2. Sauté the mushrooms in the same skillet you used for the bacon. Stir well. The mushrooms will progressively extract their water. Add the laurel leaves and the thyme (fresh thyme if you can) to the mushrooms along with freshly ground pepper and a bit of salt. Let this preparation cook until the mushrooms turn golden and start cutting the chicken breast into 3 to 4 cm-chunks. When the mushrooms are nice and golden, add the chicken chunks. Sauté for 4 to 5 minutes and add the bacon chunks. The rice should be done by then. Check and drain the remaining water if any.