On a bed of lettuce, as a tuna sandwich spread, or stuffed in a tomato this American Tuna Salad recipe is a winner in all families. You can even use it to make a delicious Tuna Melt! And if you have leftovers, it is still very good!
Catherine's Tuna Salad
If you wish to make Tuna Melts, spread a thick layer of the tuna salad on toasts or English muffins. Cover with a good slice of cheddar, and place in your hot oven for a few minutes until the cheddar has melted and the tuna spread is hot.
- 2 medium size cans of Albacore tuna
- 3 to 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 2 spring onions (green onions)
- 2 large gherkins
- 1 large firm tomato
- 2 large celery sticks
- Mayonnaise (homemade is better)
- Salt and pepper
- Paprika powder
- If you make Tuna Melts, you’ll need toasts or English muffins and cheddar cheese
- Step 1 Open the tuna cans and drain the water for a while until the tuna is quite dry. Boil the eggs for about 10 minutes. When done and scaled, separate the whites from the yolks. Wash the spring onions and thinly slice them. Cut the gherkins and the celery sticks in tiny pieces. Chop the egg whites too. Slice the tomato, remove the seeds and juice and cut in tiny pieces too. Make sure the pieces are all of about the same tiny size.
- Step 2 Crush the drained tuna in a bowl with a fork, add all the chopped ingredients and the egg yolks. Mix, add salt, pepper and mayonnaise. Gently mix again making sure the preparation is homogenous but not mashed. Season to your taste by adding salt, pepper or mayonnaise if needed. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Sprinkle with paprika before serving for decoration.