This is a Turkish dish turned into a versatile spread that can be used over bread, blinis, or part of a mezze table. My friend Asmaa is a Natural Chef & Health Food coach. You’ll find her on Instagram. Look for Authentickspoon. We met in London but Asmaa lives now in Cairo Egypt. Thank you for this delicious recipe!
Asmaa's smocked spread
Once cool this dish can easily be kept in the refrigerator. Eat warm or cold.
- 4 aubergines dice small, 2cm max
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 2 TBS ghee, melted
- Salt to taste
- 2TBS olive oil
- 2 red onions thinly sliced
- 2 red or yellow bell peppers thinly sliced
- 800gr tomatoes, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbs smoked paprika
- a pinch of ground cinnamon
- a pinch of chipotle
- 2 TBS finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 TBS finely chopped fresh oregano or 1 TBS dried
- Step 1 Preheat the oven 180° fan on
- Step 2 Place diced aubergine on a lined baking tray, season with salt and drizzle with ghee and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Mix well and roast for 20 minutes until cooked, shaking the tray half way through.
- Step 3 In the meantime, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan. Add the sliced onions and peppers. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes stirring frequently.
- Step 4 Add the chopped tomatoes, crushed garlic, spices and herbs, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes lid on.
- Step 5 Add the roasted aubergines, mix well and simmer for another 20 minutes lid on. Remove the lid and cook for further 10 minutes while baking the aubergine cubes with a spatula. Taste and adjust seasoning. You can try with Agnes loaf or Virginie’s crackers