This recipe is incredibly delightful!!! Profiteroles are best when baked at the last minute (at most 2 hours before serving). However, the puffs’ dough as well as the garlic cream can be prepared early.
Shrimp profiterole with pastis and garlic cream
Don’t hesitate to prepare the dough and the garlic cream ahead of time.
FOR THE PROFITEROLES:
125 ml water
50 g butter
1 pinch of salt
60 g flour
FOR THE PASTIS AND GARLIC CREAM:
1 cooked and skinned large shrimp per person
4 garlic cloves
10 cl milk
15 cl single cream
2 TBS chopped chives
Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Step 1 Peel the garlic cloves, remove the sprout and heat them up in a pan with the milk on low heat for 15 minutes. Discard the milk when done and mix the garlic with the single cream. Season and set aside.
- Step 2 Strictly follow these instructions to make the profiteroles: bring the water to a boil, with the salt and the butter. When the water rises a bit like hot milk does, remove from the heat and throw the flour in, all at once. Vigorously stir with a wooden spoon for your dough to dry out for about 5 minutes on low heat. That should keep your arm strong and in good shape!
- Step 3 Remove the pan from the stove and let it cool down for about 5 minutes. It’s time to pre-heat the oven to 180°. Now, add the eggs to the dough in your pan, one by one. Your dough will become runny but not totally liquid. It should hold in your wooden spoon.
- Step 4 Cover the oven rack with wax paper to bake the puffs. Lay a small ball of dough on that wax paper. I like to use 2 spoons to help shape the balls which should not exceed 4 cm in width. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Do keep an eye on the puffs regularly when in the oven. The puffs should have swollen and be golden when done.
- Step 5 Five minutes prior to the end of the baking part, warm-up the garlic cream, let it thicken a tiny bit, and add the Pastis and the finely chopped chives.
- Step 6 Set one baked profiterole per plate. Slice-open the tip of a profiterole without entirely removing it. Put the shrimp inside, leaving the tail out. Top with the Pastis and garlic cream and serve immediately. When serving by the plate, I usually only count one profiterole per person with a green salad on the side, and sometimes with the Easy Smoked and Fresh Salmon Spread.