You could save time by placing the cherry tomatoes under the grill in the oven instead of slow baking them for an hour. Just be extra careful not to burn them. And do not cook the tuna and the capers together more than 10 minutes: the taste will be altered and it will not be as good.
Rosetta's tuna paccheri
- 1 kg paccheri type pasta
- 600 gr canned tuna in olive oil
- 2 ou 3 canned whole Italian tomatoes
- 600 gr ripe cherry tomatoes
- 4 ou 5 tbs olive oil
- 3 TBS salted capers
- 3 TBS or more pitted black olives
- 5 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 handful chopped parsley or mint
- 3 TBS oregano
- 1 organic lemon zest
- 2 ou 3 TBS bread crumbs
- black pepper and salt
- Step 1 Place the salted capers in water for 20 mns to desalt, rinse well and let them dry. In the meantime cut the cherry tomatoes in 2 and place them onto a pan covered with baking paper. Add salt and pepper, spread the bread crumbs and the oregano over the tomatoes and slow cook in the oven 140° to 160° for about an hour.
- Step 2 Sauté the garlic in a large skillet with a dash of olive oil. Add the canned tomatoes slowly let it cook for a while. Add the olives. When the tomatoes are melted, you may even delicately crush them with a fork. It is almost ready. Put aside the lemon zest and the chopped parsley.
- Step 3 Bring the water to a boil in a large stew pot, when the water boils, put the pasta in the pot and let it cook until al dente. Time will be indicated on the pasta pack. Stir regularly. When the pasta is almost done, heat up the skillet with the tomatoes, add the tuna previously drained and roughly minced as well as the capers. This should not take more than 10 minutes. Adjust the seasoning and pour a cup of the water from the pasta pot into the mixture. Stir.
- Step 4 Warm the baked cherry tomatoes in the oven or in a microwave. Drain the water from the pasta and pour into a large salad bowl. Add the tomato and tuna preparation and stir. Cover with the cherry tomatoes, the chopped parsley, lemon zest and serve immediately.