You can eat it as a side dish with grilled fish or meat even fried eggs.
Roasted Aubergine Salad My way
All the components of this dish can be prepared 24h in advance. Keep all the elements separate in the fridge.
- 450 gr aubergines
- 200 gr Grec style yoghurt, cottage cheese ou labneh
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp curcuma
- 1 TBS cumin seeds
- 1 TBS Zaatar (optional)
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- zest and juice of one lime
- a pinch of chili pepper or tabasco (optional)
- 4 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 handful of fresh mint leaves picked and chopped
- 1 handful of fresh coriander finely chopped
- 1 handful of fresh parsley finely chopped
- 30 gr flaked almonds.
- 1/2 pomegranate seeds
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 220°. Clean and rinse the aubergine. Use a vegetable peeler to peel away a few strips of aubergine skin from top to bottom leaving the aubergines like a zebra. Cut into round slices 3 cm thick, and place in a large bowl. Mix well with the oil, spices, salt and pepper. Spread out on a parchment – lined baking tray and roast for 40 minutes.
- Step 2 In the meantime , mix the yoghurt with a few lime zests, a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Keep in the fridge until required.
- Step 3 Use a pan to fry the onion slices for a few minutes, stirring frequently until soft. Add the onion to the aubergines in the oven, stir well and put it back in the oven. In the same pan add the almonds, fry for 2 minutes until the almonds have lightly browned. Set aside. Wash the fresh herbs and chop them as requested. Set aside. Mix one last time the aubergines in the oven and when they are cooked, set aside to cool.
- Step 4 When you are ready to serve, arrange the aubergines slices (cold or warm) on a large platter. Spoon over the flaked almonds and herbs, add the lime juice in the yoghurt, stir well and top the aubergines with half of it for decoration. Sprinkle over some pomegranate seeds. It’s ready! Serve the rest of the sauce and pomegranate in two different little bowls.