I forget who gave me this delicious recipe a long time ago but after making some changes along the way, this is my own version of this irresistible recipe! Many thanks anyways to my unknown contributor!
Moroccan style eggplant wraps
This dish can be prepared in two separate steps
- 2 large eggplants
- 100 g fine or medium semolina grains
- 6 dried apricots
- 3 dried figs
- A small handful of pine nuts
- 1 minced onion
- 1 small bowl of olive oil
- 1 tsp of 7 spice-powder
- 2 TBS honey
- 1 to 2 TBS orange blossom
- 1 brush
- 1 lemon
- 1 goat milk yogurt
- Step 1 Pre-heat the oven to 160° and cover the baking tray with wax paper.
- Step 2 Slice the eggplants lengthwise, knowing that the slices should not exceed 1cm in thickness. Slightly sprinkle with the salt and the juice of ½ the lemon and apply a little bit of olive oil with a brush. Place the eggplant slices on the baking tray and cook for about 10 minutes. Turn them over and cook for another 5 to 10 more minutes. The eggplant slices should be tender, not dry.
- Step 3 Meanwhile, chop the rest of the eggplant and the onion, and sauté in a frying pan with a dash of olive oil making sure it doesn’t burn. Follow the instructions on the package to cook the semolina. Cut the apricots and the figs in small bits and add them to the eggplant-onion mixture. When it’s ready, add the 7 spice-powder, salt and pepper. Fry the pine nuts a couple of minutes and mix them to the preparation.
- Step 4 Set aside until you are ready to eat. At the last minute, warm up all the ingredients, mix part of the semolina with the eggplant/dried fruits/pine nuts preparation which will be used as a stuffing and check if the seasoning suits you. Place a spoonful of the stuffing mixture on each eggplant slice and roll to form a wrap. Put all the wraps on your serving dish, spread the rest of the semolina and stuffing evenly around the wraps, and serve immediately.