Thank you Rosetta for this great recipe!
Rosetta's asparagus & prawn recipe
To be served immediately. If you are using unshelled prawns or shrimps, it is good idea to use the heads and shells to make a fish stock you will add to the vegetable broth at the end. This is how you do it : for 100 g of shells and heads, use 300 ml of water, salt, pepper, one laurel leaf and a garlic clove. Let it boil and simmer for about 20 minutes. Drain and add this delicious homemade fish stock to the vegetable broth instead of adding water, in any case the right quantity of total liquid is 1 liter.
- 350 g arborio or carnaroli rice
- a bunch of green asparagus
- 3 prawns or large shrimps per person
- 1/2 glass of dry white wine
- 1 shallot
- 1 l. of vegetable broth homemade or in readymade cube
- 3 TBS olive oil
- 20 g butter and a dash of oil to fry the shrimps
- salt and pepper
- a few chopped parsley leaves for decoration
- parmesan flakes and Espelette chili (optional)
- Step 1 Wash the asparagus, remove the ends and separate the tip from the stem. Slice the stems in small bits and set aside in separate bowls.
- Step 2 I suggest you separate the vegetable broth ahead of time as it takes one hour : you will need one carrot, one leek, one celery stick, one onion and a bouquet garni. Wash and cut these vegetables in small pieces and pan fry them in olive oil add salt and 3 peppercorns and one liter of water. Do not cover and let it boil slowly for an hour. Drain to keep the broth only, add water to reach 1 l of liquid. Your vegetable broth is now ready.
- Step 3 Thinly slice the shallot and fry in a pot or in a large frying pan along with asparagus slices for a few minutes only. Add the rice and stir with your wooden spoon until the grains become transparent, then pour the wine in and let it cook until the wine has evaporated.
- Step 4 Keep on stirring making eights with your spoon for an efficient stir. Add the hot broth slowly until it is totally absorbed by the rice. Taste and add salt if necessary. Add the asparagus tips towards the end when only 5 to 6 minutes of cooking remain. Quickly sauté the prawns in oil and butter in a frying with salt and pepper. You may add a pinch of Espelette chili if you like it spicy. Pour the seafood onto the rice just before serving.