Delicious ! The leftover sauce can be kept for 3 or 4 weeks in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
My Version of Spring Rolls & Emilie's Dipping Sauce
17 May 2020
: 40 min
: 40 min
Can be made up to 6hr ahead. Remove from the fridge about 15mn before eating.
- INGREDIENTS FOR THE ROLLS :
- 8 rice-paper wrappers
- 50 gr rice vermicelli
- 1 small slice of chicken
- 1 handful of sprouted alfalfa (optional)
- some small lettuce leaves
- 12 cooked tiger prawns
- 24 mint leaves
- a handful of coriander leaves
- 3 TBS of crushed peanuts
- 8 thin slices of cucumber
- 2 TBS of soy sauce
- 1 TBS of sesame oil
- 2 eggs
- a handful of beansprouts
- INGREDIENTS FOR EMILIE'S DIPPING SAUCE :
- 250 gr of sugar
- 250 ml of boiling water
- 250 ml of cold water
- 125 ml of white vinegar
- 4 TBS of fish sauce
- some julienned carrots
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- some finely chopped red chili
- some crushed peanuts
- Step 1 THE SAUCE :Gather the dipping sauce ingredients. Put the sugar in a pan and turn the heat to medium. Mix well constantly, and cook until the sugar dissolves into a brown syrup. Then, add the boiling water delicately, never stop mixing but be very careful, you can have projections and be burned. Stop the heating and add the cold water the vinegar, and the fish sauce. Stir carefully. If some sugar has crystallized, you can throw it away. Your sauce is ready, wait until at room temperature and put it in the fridge. You can keep it three to four weeks in a sealed container. Just get what you need at a time, add the garlic, chili, crushed peanuts and carrots and serve it in nice bowls.
- Step 2 THE ROLLS :Put the vermicelli into a large bowl and cover with boiling water from the kettle. Leave to rest according to the packet instructions. Drain, then toss it in the sesame oil. Set aside.
- Step 3 Next, prepare the fillings and set them in separate bowls ready for making the spring rolls. Cook the chicken in a pan and cut it in small slices. Add half the soy sauce and set aside. You’ll need to work quickly with the wrappers, so it is best to get everything prepared first. Peel the prawns. Using a small sharp knife cut them along their length. Place the herbs you will need 3-4 mint leaves and 3-4 coriander leaves per roll. Cook the eggs in an omelet. Cut it in slices set aside.
- Step 4 Fill a large bowl with warm water. Put a clean kitchen towel on the work surface. Working one roll at a time, dip of the rice-paper wrappers into the water for a few seconds until soft and fordable. Don’t overdo it, though, because if they get too soft they will tear and stick to themselves. Lay the sheet on the towel.
- Step 5 Put 3-4 leaves of coriander and mint along one side of the wrapper, leaving a border at the sides. Top with 3 prawns, a lettuce leaf, chicken, a small handful of vermicelli alfalfa, and beansprouts. Add a few slices of cucumber, omelet and crushed peanuts. Roll for one turn then fold the sides inwards and tightly roll up the wrapper. Set aside and continue with the remaining wrappers and ingredients until they are used up. Put each roll in a plastic film if you don’t eat them immediately. Otherwise they must be separated from each other in order to not stick to one another.
- Step 6 Serve with the dipping sauce.The leftover sauce can be kept for three to four weeks in a sealed container in the refrigerator.