Hummus is a traditional middle eastern dish. It is traditionally served as a dip with Lebanese or Pita bread. I like to remove the chickpea skin, and if you choose to do so, it will take twice as long to prepare, unless you get some help! My friend Lamia prefers her hummus silky smooth. She uses canned chickpeas, garlic, tahini, lemon, and olive oil.
Hummus by Lamia
24 May 2020
: 4 to 6
: 20 min
: 30 min
It will only take you 10 minutes to prepare if you decide to leave the chickpea skin on. Also, Lamia’s advice is to keep the water from the can as it gives a creamier texture.
- 1 can of chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans)
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 to 2 TBS tahini
- 5 TBS lemon juice (or the juice of one squeezed lemon fruit)
- Salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, Zaatar
- Step 1 Remove the chickpea skin with your fingers. This operation is very easy, but it just takes some time. In small blender, mix the oil, the tahini, the garlic clove and the chickpeas. Season with the lemon juice and the spices to your taste. Then, add a little bit of the water from the can and mix again to get a creamy texture. Generally, I don’t add more than 60ml of water. Store in the refrigerator a few minutes before serving for the flavors to fully blend in.
- Step 2 Serve with fresh raw vegetables, on toasts or with Pita bread and add a dash of olive oil for decoration before serving.