I love this cake. It is great for pot luck meals, light lunches, eat it warm or cold.
Lamia’s gluten free Olive Cake
I have made this recipe without the turmeric and by replacing the herbes de Provence by oregano and even by fresh cilantro… It was delicious as well. Sometimes, I also use 30 ml of Peperoncino oil along with 30 ml of classic olive oil to give it a spicy taste I love! If you don’t have any dry yeast, you may replace it by mixing one teaspoon of baking soda with a tablespoon of lemon juice in a little bit of milk, it does the job too!
- 90 g brown rice flour
- 90 g corn starch
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- 2 TBS mixed dry herbs (thyme, rosemary, laurel- herbes de Provence)
- a handful of pitted greek style black olives
- 60 ml of olive oil
- 1 pack of gluten free dry yeast
- 150 to 200g feta cheese
- 70 ml of milk
- Pepper from the mill
- 1 TBS of turmeric
- Step 1 Pre-heat your oven to 180°. Pour into a large bowl the flours, the yeast, turmeric, ground pepper and the dry herbs. Mix. Add the egg yolks you have previously beaten into an omelette. Mix thoroughly. Add the egg whites you have previously beat until firm, then the olive oil, the milk and keep on stirring. Add the drained black olives and the feta cheese you have cut into cubes.
- Step 2 Pour the whole preparation into the buttered loaf tin and bake at 180° for 30 to 40’. When ready, bring it out of the oven and let it cool off before removing from the tin. Allow a little more time to cool off before slicing.
- Step 3 You may eat it warm or cold and you may store it for up to 36 hours. Lamia’s tip : you can use cheddar cheese instead of feta and you may use only 3 eggs if you prefer. Just don’t add salt!