In Belgium as in France, I choose the fish according to the fishermen’s catch of the day. Cod fish, sea bass, or sea bream are equally good for this recipe.
Fish tartare with mango and vanilla oil
22 May 2023
: 3 to 4
: 30 min
: 30 min
: 1 hr
You may prepare the ingredients ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator, but the tartare’s ingredients are to be assembled just before serving.
- 300g fresh white fish fillet, skin- and boneless
- 1 ripe mango
- 1 tomato
- 1 shallot
- 1 coriander bunch
- 1 lemon
- 5 TBS olive oil
- 1 vanilla pod
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- A pinch of Espelette chili powder or a small fresh chili pepper
- A handful of green mesclun leaves per person on the side
- Step 1 Dip the tomato in boiling water for 1 minute at most for an easy skin removal. Peel and cut in small cubes the size of a die: remove the seeds and drain a few minutes in a strainer to get rid of the watery juice. Cut the mango pulp into small dice the same size as the tomato small cubes, and finely chop the shallots. Store in the refrigerator.
- Step 2 Chop the washed coriander leaves, check if there are no bones left in the fish fillets before cutting them in small cubes. Keep them covered in a bowl, in the refrigerator.
- Step 3 Prepare the vinaigrette: squeeze the lemon juice in a bowl, add the olive oil, the salt and pepper, and a dash of chili. Slice the vanilla pod open lengthwise and with the tip of a knife, scrape the seeds and add to the vinaigrette. Give it a good whisk to release the vanilla aroma and set aside.
- Step 4 When about to serve, add the mango, the tomato, the shallot and the chopped coriander to the chilled fish chunks. Pour a bit of the vinaigrette, stir and check for the seasoning.
- Step 5 Prepare the four plates by setting the tartare with the help of a disk for the perfect shape, mix the salad with the rest of the vinaigrette, and serve as a side dish directly on the plate or in a salad bowl.