This dish is from California and its recipe was inspired by a small recipe book I love named: Jordan Feilders’ California Canteen. Special thanks to him and his team. This recipe served with my Quinoa almond and feta cheese salad is a best seller!
cheeseburger my way
It’s so much yummier than the fast food restaurants’ burgers and you know what you have in your plate! Not so easy to eat with your hands but finger licking good… It’s nice to share with the family with a little help from everyone if you need to make more than 2 cheeseburgers.
- 1/2 a tomato
- 6 gherkins
- 2 buns
- 2 beef patties fresh from the butcher : 100 g each
- 4 thin bacon slices
- 4 slices of cheddar cheese
- 2 lettuce leaves (preferably Iceberg lettuce)
- 1/2 a red onion
- 1 yellow onion (optional)
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 4 TBS of mayonnaise
- 1 TBS of ketchup
- 1 TBS of Samouraï sauce
- 1/2 a ripe avocado
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp of provence dry herbs
- A dash of oil
- Step 1 Cut the red onion into 3 mm slices and fry them in the same pan. Add oil if you think it’s necessary. It should take around 4’ for them to turn golden. Flip them over and cook a few more minutes. Set aside. If you plan on eating right away use the same pan to fry all the ingredients one after another.
- Step 2 Cut the gherkins into thin slices, put them in a bowl, add the mayonnaise, the ketchup and the samouraï sauce, stir and set aside. Rinse, dry and thinly slice the Iceberg lettuce leaves and set aside. Wash the tomatoes, thinly slice them, remove the seeds and let them drain.
- Step 3 Right before sitting at the table, slice the avocado. Start heating the oven according to the directions written on the buns package as they’ll have to be warm when the burgers are ready to be served. Set the buns on aluminium foil or wax paper. Begin with the cooking of the meats. Fry the bacon slices and wipe the oil out with paper towel. Proceed with the steaks you will cook on high heat for about 3 to 4 minutes, add pepper, dry Provence Herbs and flip them over to cook the other side. Add very little salt. Place the cheddar slice on each burger and let it cook 3 more minutes at most if you want your meat to be well done
- Step 4 add the onions, the tomato slice and the bacon on top. While all this is heating up, put the buns on the aluminium foil in the oven with a slice of cheddar cheese on the bottom part of the bun. It will take about a minute to melt. Make sure nothing is missing on your table. On each plate, place the bottom part of the bun with the cheese on it, rapidly put the bacon slice on top, followed by some of the caramelized onion, a little sauce, some lettuce, a slice of red onion, tomato, sauce again, the avocado slices if you decided to have some, and use the top bun to cover. Press a bit with the palm of your hand and use a wooden skewer to hold it all together and keep it straight. It’s ready ! This is a rather rich dish and does not call for a starter.