This is a raw vegetable soup served smooth and chilled, widely appreciated in Spain as in Portugal. I truly love it. It can even be frozen for a longer storage.
It's a great recipe for hot summer days.
- 6 ripe tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 1 green pepper or yellow pepper
- 1 bunch of green onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 40 g stale bread
- 2 TBS Xeres vinegar
- 2 TBS olive oil
- Espelette chili
- 3 TBS tomato paste
- Step 1 Dip the tomatoes in boiling water for about 30 seconds. Peel them, then cut in chunks.
- Step 2 Peel the green pepper, then, dice it, and remove the seeds. Keep some for decoration at the end.
- Step 3 Prepare the cucumber by peeling it and removing the seeds.
- Step 4 Discard the onions’ green parts and slice the white stems.
- Step 5 Mix all the above ingredients together in a food processor along with the bread, the olive oil, the peeled garlic cloves, the tomato paste, and the vinegar. Add salt, pepper, and a pinch of chili powder. Taste and season to your liking, add a bit of water if you feel it’s too thick. Mix again and store in your refrigerator for 12 hours before serving ice cold.
- Step 6 Serve with garlic-rubbed croutons, and topped with tomato and cucumber dice.