I started appreciating this dessert when I was living in Philadelphia. This is now one of my favorite desserts. There are so many cheese cake recipes, all of them delicious, but more or less easy to digest… This cheese cake is absolutely delicious, but I have to warn you, it is high in calories, and I suggest you make it for an army of guests!
New York cheese cake
My recipe is 25 years-old but it is still a winner. You will notice that the ingredients used bear French names. The equivalent ingredients found in international supermarkets are suggested, but my genuine recipe is made with French brands products. The fruit sauce is a killer and I strongly suggest that you choose to make it; at least serve this dessert with a red fruit sauce.
A 30 cm-wide baking tin with removable bottom
An electric mixer
- FOR THE DOUGH:
200g speculoos or Bastogne biscuits (an equivalent to cinnamon, ginger and brown sugar biscuits)
120g Petits Beurre biscuits
120g melted butter
- FOR THE CREAMY BATTER:
3 small packs of Saint Moret (450g) (equivalent to a light & salty Philadelphia cheese)
200g double cream
2 packs vanilla sugar
2 egg yokes
Juice of ½ a lemon
Grated zest of lemon
250g low-fat creamed cottage cheese (Fromage blanc 20%)
1 TBS corn flour
- FOR THE FRUIT SAUCE
300g mango pulp
300g fresh or frozen raspberries
Juice of a lime
- Step 1 Pre-heat the oven to 180° (therm 3). Crush the biscuits with an electric mixer. Place this biscuit powder in a bowl and pour the melted butter over it. Stir with a wooden spoon and then with your hands until it can be shaped into a sandy ball.
- Step 2 Place the baking sheet on the removable bottom of the baking tin (you will subsequently slide it out when the cake is cooked and has cooled off) Place the dough at the center of your baking pan and flatten with the palm of your hand to spread it evenly and cover the entire mold. Only cover the bottom, do not cover the sidewalls. Set the mold on a large piece of aluminum foil. Indeed, it is very likely that the butter will melt, spill over and burn on your oven racks. This will avoid smoke to spread in your kitchen too. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes and let it cool off, oven-door closed.
- Step 3 In the meantime, gently whisk the Saint Moret cheese with the cream and the sugars for 2 minutes with your electric mixer on low speed. Add the eggs, then the egg-yokes, the juice and zest of the lemon. Mix some more while adding the creamed cottage cheese, then the corn flour.
- Step 4 Pour this creamy batter on the crust and bake at 180° for 5 minutes. Then lower the heat to 160° for another 40 minutes. Turn the heat off and leave the cheese cake in the oven for the next 2 hours without opening the oven door. Then, leave the cake out in the air for a good 60 minutes before placing it in your refrigerator for at least 6 hours before serving. Don’t forget to cover it with saran wrap.
- Step 5 To make the fruit sauce, start by mixing the raspberries. Then, pour them through a strainer to leave the seeds out. Add the mango, the lime juice and the sugar to the raspberry sauce, and mix again. When it’s time to serve the cheese cake, remove the baking dish disk and delicately remove the baking sheet by sliding it out. You may sprinkle some lemon or lime zest on top. Serve the fruit sauce in a sauce bowl.