Another traditional dessert you may conveniently prepare a day in advance. In the shape of an elegant pie and presented with style on a pastry dish with fresh fruits, this Rice Pudding is a real delight. Along with fresh litchis or mandarines I just love it!
Laurene's rice pudding
This dessert may be prepared a day in advance. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
- 100 g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 liter milk
- Zest of an organic lemon
- 125 g of round grain rice
- Caramel made with 80 g of sugar and 8 cl water
- A dash of rum (optional)
- Step 1 Start with the caramel. In a pan, heat up the sugar and water, and stir until the caramel turns brown. To avoid burning the caramel, you have to keep on stirring. You will see that the mixture becomes caramel just after it starts boiling. Make sure it does not harden. When still in a liquid form, pour the caramel all over the pie mould, including along the sides. Set aside.
- Step 2 Turn the oven on to 180°. Cook the rice in a large quantity of boiling water for 3 minutes and drain. Then cook it in the milk for about 20 minutes after it starts boiling. Mix the cooked rice, the beaten eggs, the sugar and the zest. Now is the time you may add the rum if you wish.
- Step 3 Pour this preparation in the cake mould covered with the thin layer of caramel, and bake for 20 minutes. Wait until it has entirely cooled down before turning it over and removing the mould.
- Step 4 Serve at room temperature or chilled. This cake will be good for up to 24 hours.