If you use light cream the dish turns out perfectly too. Karin likes to use chunks of crab rather than crumbs… As a starter this quantity is for 6 to 7 guests. As a main dish it serves 4 to 6 people.
Karin's crab meat and brandy o'gratin
Standing time : 1 hour before baking.
- 400 gr ready cooked crab meat with chunks and crumbs (mix of brown and white meat)
- 4 large shallots finely chopped
- 1 dash of olive oil
- 500 ml of light or full sour cream
- Cayenne pepper or a generous shake of Tabasco
- sea salt and pepper from the mill
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp of curry powder
- 100 ml of milk
- 1 expresso cup of cognac
- butter for the gratin dish
- Step 1 Over a medium heat, fry the shallots in a pan with the olive oil until golden. Add all the crab mix and stir a few minutes. Add the cognac, let it get very warm and flame. Keep the matches or the lighter away from fire! Add the curry powder, the pepper, Cayenne pepper and a little salt. Simmer while you beat the eggs with the cream and milk with a whip or an electric mixer. Mix both preparations together check the seasoning and adjust to your taste before pouring it into the buttered baking tin. Momentarily store the dish into the refrigerator before baking : your gratin will be fluffier and a sort of custard will formed at the bottom. Then place in the oven, heated it at 180° (th.6) for 45mn.
- Step 2 You may eat this dish warm or cold as a starter or as a main dish.