In Lyon this soup dish is a speciality and is often served in the evening for family or close friends dinner parties, for late supper or even as an early morning delicacy after dancing all night.
Thank you to the famous chef ‘s team who kindly allowed me to publish this recipe. It comes from the cookbook “La cuisine du marché” bought by my mother in 1977!
French Onion Soup by Paul Bocuse My Style
- 600 gr yellow onions - organic if possible-
- a bunch of herbs : laurel leaves, thyme
- 250 gr grated swiss cheese
- 80 gr butter (150 gr in the original recipe)
- 4 egg yolks
- 200 gr dried bread (2 days old French baguette style)
- 2 c. TBS flour
- 1 small glass of Madeira wine
- salt and pepper
- Step 1 Peel and mince the onions. Fry them in a pan with the butter until golden. Lightly spread some flour over it, mix again so the flour cooks and gets its light brown color. Cut the bread in finger-cut pieces. This step of the recipe can be prepared in advance and placed in the refrigerator personally, I even have prepare it the day before a dinner party. Put the cooked onions in a large pot along with 2 1/2 liter of water, add salt and pepper, the bunch of herbs and bring to a boil. Let it boil for 30 minutes. Drain the soup to leave the vegetables out. Verify if the seasoning suits your taste. Turn on the oven on at 180° (thermostat 6). Place the dry bread at the bottom of your soup dish, insert half of the grated cheese in between two layers of bread and pour the whole clear soup over it. Use the rest of the grated cheese to cover the entire surface of the soup. Place the dish in the hot oven. The cheese will melt and the heat will turn the top layer into a nice golden color. When ready to serve, put the hot soup dish on the table. Mix the egg yolks with the port wine in a separate bowl. Pour this mixture into the soup and mix with the ladle by giving it a few whips. We call it touiller the gratin. I have made this soup without using the Madeira wine, it is also excellent. I just put an egg yolk in each individual bowl and serve the hot soup over it.