It is best to prepare this dish with the freshest ingredients possible, especially the salmon. It’s preferable to buy authentic Asian ingredients when possible from a specialized grocery store. Everything is usually sold at a reasonable price (1 kilo for rice, 1/2 liter for the rest). In the supermarket, these products are packaged in very small quantities.
Gary's poke bowl
Poke bowls are a Hawaiian tradition. You can use tuna or another raw fish. Prepare at the last moment and offer samuraï sauce if you like it spicy. Translation : Gary himself ! Thank you Gary????
- 250 gr of Japanese Sushi rice
- 2 ripe medium sized avocados cut into cubes
- 1 large ripe mango cut into cubes
- 500 gr of extra thick salmon filet (red label) remove skin and bones
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 1 handful of chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
- 1 dice white onion along with its green stem
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sweet soy sauce
- 1/2 cucumber
- wasabi ( optional)
- 25 gr finely grated ginger
- 2 died seaweed leaves
- 100 gr of fresh uncooked peas, edamame beans or snow peas
- 100 gr of dry wasabi peas
- juice from one lemon
- Step 1 RICE Follow the cooking instructions written on the package of Japanese Sushi rice for cooking. As soon as the rice is a bit chilled, stir the rice vinegar and mix gently with the wooden spatula. Add sesame oil to taste. Rice should not be too wet or too dry. Divide it in the individual bowls.
- Step 2 THE OTHERS INGREDIENTS Cut the salmon into bit-sized pieces and put them in a bowl. Add sweet soy and natural soy sauces and stir. You can add some rice wine vinegar for the taste. Use a large platter for the ingredients and put a salade bowl in the center which will hold the salmon, the vegetables and fruit are placed around the bowl. Slice the onions with the stem, put a tablespoon of each in the salmon, save the rest to serve with the meal. Cut the avocado and mango into cubes. Dice the cucumber into small pieces, shave off the skin. Put all of the ingredients into piles all around the dish. Chop the roasted seaweed leaves and put them in a separate dish. Shuck the fresh peas. Put the wasabi flavored peas in a separate bowl.
- Step 3 THE PRESENTATION Quickly toast the sesame seeds in a dry pan and squeeze the lemon. Pour 1/2 the lemon juice over the salmon just before you are ready to sit, stir well. Don’t add the lemon juice too early as it will begin to cook the salmon. Add 2 tablespoons of toasted sesame seeds on top of the salmon along with a pinch of coriander to decorate. Once you are ready to eat, serve each person a bowl containing the prepared rice and let them choose what they want in their Poke Bowl. Offer salt, pepper, wasabi, lemon juice and the rest of the rice. Do not forget the soy sauces and rice vinegar, your guests will appreciate the extras. Once at the table, add cubes of avocado, mango, cucumber and salmon to your rice bowls. Finish with all the rest of the ingredients and stir. Season and enjoy.